How do I set up the CHCS Gmail (Google Apps) system in Outlook using IMAP?
08 Nov 2008
Detailed instructions are available at the Google Apps Help Center. Click on the appropriate link for the version of the program you have.
- If you do not know which version you have, open Outlook, go to the Help menu, and click About Microsoft Outlook. If you have Outlook 2000 or older, you will need to upgrade your program.
- Make sure that you follow the instructions exactly, and as given for "Google Apps users." When noted, replace 'your_domain.com' with your actual domain name.
- You MUST enable IMAP as detailed in Knowledge Base Article 205.
- If you are moving from the old CHCS server, you should add a new account in Outlook's settings rather than trying to edit the old one.
- Once you have created the new account, set it as the "default" by going to Tools, Accounts, clicking the Mail tab, selecting the new account name, and clicking the Set As Default button at the right of the window. Then click OK at the bottom right.
- After you are finished setting up the accunt, you should customize your Personal Folders. You will find your new Inbox inside a new folder on the bottom of the left side column. You may want to right click on your new Inbox and “Add to Favorite Folders”. That will bring the new Inbox up to the top of the column. Note that there are also new “All Mail”, Sent Mail, Spam, Inbox, and Junk Mail folders. Decide which of those folders you will be using the most and right click to bring them up to your Favorite Folders.
Click below for detailed instructions, or go to the Google Apps Help Center.
- Enable IMAP (see in Knowledge Base Article 205).
- Now open Outlook. From the Tools menu, select Account Settings.
- Click on the E-mail tab, then click the button marked New.
- Select the "Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP or HTTP" option. Click Next.
- Now go to the Google instructions, and begin with Step 5.